Normal anxiety and worry is part of our everyday lives. We are anxious about the upcoming test, the job interview, the tax refund or debt payment and many many other things every day. Even the wonderful experiences in our lives can cause anxiety, for example, the promotion we have waited for, a vacation we had planned for a long time, birth of a child and the list can go on.
Perhaps the most effective thing to do is examine what triggers the anxiety. Most often than not, its our thoughts, for example, self criticism. Self Criticism is a wonderful ability till it becomes so harsh that is is all consuming. Recognizing and then changing our perspective will go a long way towards letting go of the Anxiety.
Some other effective ways of coping with Anxiety
1. Take a break- At work or at home, take 5 minutes from the busy schedule ( drink a glass of water, a cup of green tea or black tea)
2. Count to 10 - take a deep breath in and exhale slowly while counting to 10. Do it again , it helps to clear the mind
3. Exercise- Exercise has been shown to be good for physical as well as mental well being. It can be a short 15 minute walk with a friend, or a quick run. It does not need to be an hour long regimen.
4. Watch a funny clip/ movie- Humour has been shown to be helpful. As the saying goes ‘Laughter is the best medicine’.
5. Eat well. Healthy eating has been shown to increase our sense of well being.
6. Break the task into small steps.
7 Meditate- More and more research is supporting a regimen of daily Meditation.
When the Anxiety becomes overwhelming and tends to consume our days and nights then it's perhaps best to seek professional help.
Psychotherapy has been shown to be very effective in relieving symptoms of Anxiety.