If you are a college student, its that time of the semester when Final exams are scheduled and it is STRESSFUL As a college teacher of Psychology, I would often see and hear about students living on coffee and air. Many of the students would be staying awake all night to finish papers and hand them on time. I would also definitely see a marked increase in students sniffling, coughing and generally feeling tired. Stress can depress our immune systems and that in turn can cause us to succumb to infections that the body would normally ignore.
Here are some effective ways to cope with the Finals week and come out doing well on the exams as well.
1. Dont ignore Eating: Nutritious and healthy food goes a long way in giving the body fuel that it needs to work hard. eating breakfast, lunch and dinner is a good idea when studying hard. So schedule some time to eat.
2. Sleep is essential- Psychological Research confirms that Sleep is vital. There have been numerous studies that link Sleep and memory and learning. Schedule time to sleep and stick to it.
3. Manage Time and Schedule: One way to manage time is to write down what you are going to to on Monday/ Tuesday etc ( you get the point). Be realistic and set your goals ( for example, I will go over Chapter 14, 15, 16 of Introduction to Psychology on Monday) . Make a schedule and stick to it ( for example eating breakfast, studying PSychology etc etc).
4. Take a break- take mini breaks. Studies have shown that we are not able to maintain our level of concentration for very long periods of time. So schedule time for 10-15 minute breaks during your day. Meditate, watch TV, drink soothing green tea, close your eyes and just listen to music or anything else you would.
5. Schedule time for exercise. Yoga is very helpful in promoting relaxation, play a game of basketball (if thats your game) take a walk with a friend. Physical exercise boosts energy, lifts mood and relieves stress.
6. Keep distractions to a minimum- Your friends will understand if you switch off Facebook, stop texting and unfollow them on twitter. Turn off your phone for a couple of hours, when you are on a break you can reconnect to the digital world for short periods of time, your brain will thank you.
Follow these simple tips and wish you a successful semester !.